Monday, January 21, 2008

The dentist and I are not friends.

Inhaling the dust of my tooth as I sit,
My mouth in an oversize O,
I stare at the light
And try hard not to bite
The hands working under my nose.

I feel nothing. I’m numb from the lip to the gum
As my tooth is attacked by the drill.
My mouth tastes of rubber;
I try not to blubber.
The hygienist tells me, “Sit still.”

Breathe in. Now breathe out, I silently chant.
Don’t panic. You’re doing just fine.
I unclench my fists,
Let my insides untwist
To the lullaby of the drill’s whine.

Enough with the drilling!
Just finish the filling!

(Hours later)

The work’s finally done.
I still can’t feel my tongue
As I walk to the front with a frown.
The receptionist files, looks up with a smile:
“Now, when can we schedule that crown?”


*Luckily for me, the crown part is just poetic license :)

**PS. Thanks to my 2 "fans" who inspired me to blog again! May this post not make them wish they had kept their mouths shut...

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Aha! A third fan. Thanks for blogging again. I always enjoy what you share.

katie said...

Woo hoo! You posted! I love you and your quirky (and often beautiful) thoughts. I have a dentist's appointment in a few weeks. Boo.

Andrew Hess said...

I'm trying to blog more too! It's easy to let blogs remain as they are when life gets busy. I think you should share this at the next Vino & Verse!!

Pollly19 said...

It is funny cause I have often said the same exact words when I am sitting in the dentist chair.

I HATE the dentist too.

You are great! and should blog more often.