Saturday, July 08, 2006

The speckles are really more like ridges

I don't lie on my floor and stare at the ceiling enough. My current life is not conducive to this.

Reason #1) Colorado is not a state that encourages you to lie on the floor and stare at the ceiling. 300+ sunny days! Mountains in your backyard! Zero humidity and refreshing breezes! You feel guilty for running errands, emptying the dishwasher, being inside for any reason, like you're wasting a perfect day.

Reason #2) I wake up at 7, arrive at work by 8:30. Write and design and generally be creative until 5:30. Home by 5:45 to eat dinner and be out the door by 6:10 for dance or shortly thereafter for other regularly scheduled activities. I often don't get home until around 10, when I usually check my email, tidy my room, tuck in my roommate. Then bed for me. Breathe.

BUT...
For the past 4 days it has rained nonstop. We are under flash flood warnings. The temperature is a damp 65 degrees and the thick white brightness of a cloudy day pours in my window. It is yucky. And for once, I do not feel guilty for being inside. It is not a perfect day.

And so I spent considerable time this morning lying on the floor staring at the ceiling. I loved every second of it.

4 comments:

katie said...

I am more of a wall woman, myself. Occasionally just empty space. Either way you're right- the weather (which you described wonderfully) has made for a lot of staring.

Charlie said...

You know what is even better than laying on your back looking at the ceiling? Laying on your back looking at the ceiling with a KITTEN on your chest!

yatutho

LSI said...

is it not the strangest weather that we are having in the United States?

sometimes it's nice to exist in the solitude of your private space than in commune with nature.

and have you started seeing images in the ceiling tiles -- that's the point when it might be time to start staring at the clouds again, and looking for images there!

allijack said...

hmmm. yeah. it rains in florida, too.